FMA Grant Process

  1. The parish decides to apply for elevation grant funds.
  2. Homeowners who are interested gather the paperwork required to be included on the grant aplication, which may include contractor estimates, an elevation certificate, a square footage verification document, and a homeowner application.
  3. The parish submits the grant application.
  4. The parish notifies homeowners when the grant has been approved.
  5. Elevation work begins.

Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my property is considered a Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL) property?
The requirements are: if you have 4 or more separate flood claim payments of $5000 or more (including building and contents) and the cumulative total exceeds $20,000 OR 2 or more separate flood claim payments (building payments only) where the total value of the payments exceeds the current market value of the structure. In either case, 2 of the claim payments must be within 10 years of each other and more than 10 days apart.
How can I find out for sure if I am a Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL) property?
You will need to call your local floodplain manager. See link above for contact information.
What is the Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant program?
The Flood Mitigation Assistance grant program is an annual program that any parish can apply to for funds to elevate homes. The deadline for parishes to submit applications for grant funds is usually in August but we strongly recommend that you call your floodplain manager to express interest in the early spring. Call him/her back periodically to check on your status.
How much will the FMA grant pay and how much will I have to pay?
The grant program will pay up to 100% of the contract. If you received the Road Home elevation incentive or ICC funds, the full amount of those awards is put towards the contract and the grant program will pay the balance.
How long will it take for the grant to get funded?
It usually takes about 12-24 months after the grant application is submitted to get approval.

*With the passage of the Biggert-Waters Act, Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL) grants are now Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grants.

Call US at 1-888-ELEVATE! orleans shoring will help obtain documents needed such as elevation certificates
Orleans Shoring Gulf South Leader
Home Builders Association Greater New Orleans
International Association Structural Movers
Better Business Bureau
Close [X]